We recently listed our Top Ten picks for education. So, lets shift our focus now to the corporate world. Here's a look a some of the most popular business apps for iPad or iPhone.
- Scanner Apps (various) - There are a couple that make the Top Ten List, so I'll lump them together. There's TurboScan, JotNot, and Scanner Pro. All of these offer "scanning" capabilities using your iPad or iPhone camera. The image is adjusted to provide a digital document of whatever it is you decide to scan. It's a great way to save paper and the environment.
- Adobe Reader - This is an essential app for easily reading all of those PDF attachments you get via email — and it's FREE!
- Craigslist + Notifications - If you buy and sell, or use Craigslist for a variety of other needs (such as job hunting or job posting, travel tips, gigs, entertainment, etc) you'll appreciate this app. It includes essential features for browsing the site. Plus, it features a background browser feature that keeps searching for your info even after you exit CL. You'll be notified of new postings automatically. Note: You must be 17 or older to download this app.
- Splashtop Remote Desktop - This app allows you to remotely connect with your PC or Mac from anywhere. On the road and forgot to upload your PowerPoint presentation? Connect with Splashtop and easily retrieve your files. Splashtop provides streaming of high-res video and audio from your computer back at the office or at home. You must have internet access to connect.
- Receipt Catcher - This is a great app if you need to log your business expenses on a regular basis. Enter all of the appropriate info and even take a snapshot of your receipt. The app lets you crop the image too. But here's the best part. The receipts are automatically fitted to either A4 of legal size paper. So, when you get back to the office you can print a copy of up to ten receipts at a time.
- Dragon Dictation - This is an easy-to-use voice recognition application. Speak naturally into your device's microphone and your words are automatically converted to text. Great for note taking, text messaging, random thoughts, etc.
- Brightest Flashlight Pro - I've never really thought about carrying a flashlight with me or having the need for one — until the power goes out or I'm trying to search for something under my desk. This useful app uses your camera's flash and LED screen to provide a dual mode flashlight. Although simple, this could be a lifesaver sometime.
- Meeting Map - For those of us who can't remember what we had for lunch yesterday, here's a great app for keeping track of who's who at that big meeting. This app lets you set the number of attendees, enter the gender and name, and indicate where they sat around the conference table.
- Secret Folder - Need a way to secure confidential documents from prying eyes? Prevent corporate secrets from leaking? Protect your personal data? Whatever the case may be, Secret Folder provides password protection for your confidential data.
- TripIt - This is a great app if your job requires you to travel or even if you're traveling for leisure. It helps you organize all of your travel documents such as hotel reservations, car rentals, airline tickets, dinner reservations, meetings, etc. Easily share your travel plans with colleagues, family, and/or Facebook friends. The pro version even monitors flights for potential savings and sends you status alerts and reminders while you're traveling.
These are my pics for great business apps for the iPhone or iPad — all available via iTunes. Please be sure to check the specs on each app to make sure they will work with your particular device. I encourage you to check out the free or lite versions (if available) before purchasing.
Have more suggestions? We're all ears. Tell us about your favorite business apps in the comments below.
Photo credit: Ambro via Free Digital Photos