Here are some quick facts about the growing population of the United States and how it equates to more students in the classroom and hence the need for more school related furniture, technology, supplies, and equipment.
- According to the 2010 U.S. Census, the population of the United States increased 9.7 percent over the last ten years.
- More than a quarter of the population (85.3 million people) is enrolled in or employed by a school or college.
- Total elementary and secondary enrollment increased 8 percent between 1995 and 2008; and is projected to increase an additional 5 percent between 2008 and 2020.
- Eight states are projecting an increase in enrollment of more than 15 percent between fall 2008 and fall 2020. Nevada (28.4%); Arizona (26.2%); Alaska (24.8%); Texas (22.7%); Idaho (18.7%); Colorado (18.0%); Washington (17.0%); North Carolina (15.1%)
- Projections for Fall 2011 estimate K-12 enrollment at 54.7 milliion students; 49.4 million attending public schools; 5.2 million enrolled in private schools.
- According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the school age population will grow to nearly 80 million by 2050.
- An estimated 3.6 million teachers/faculty are employed in K-12 schools. The number of teachers increased 23 percent between 1995 and 2008, a period of 13 years; and is projected to increase 7 percent between 2008 and 2020.
- Total enrollment in postsecondary degree-granting institutions increased 43 percent from 1995 and 2009; and is projected to increase an additional 13 percent between 2009 and 2020.
No doubt the population is growing and putting a strain on educators' budgets to provide all of the tools necessary for our students — often times with stagnant or shrinking budgets. Wise choices for the equipment and furnishings schools utilize remains key.
Creating multipurpose spaces with technology-enhanced furniture is now more important than ever. A classroom equipped with NOVA's Trolley™ monitor lifts creates a multi-use environment. Schools have the option of utilizing the room for lectures, computer labs, or a combination of both without requiring additional classroom real estate in already overcrowded schools with little or no extra building space.
Find out more about how NOVA's products solve customer challenges in our FREE download.